Family / Partner  Category Visa


About the Family / Partner  Category Visa


To apply as a partner of a resident or citizen, the couple should meet the requirement of being in a genuine and stable relationship thereby satisfying the four-fold test of their relationship. For example, they need to satisfy the immigration officer deciding on the application that they are credible in their relationship and they have lived together in a genuine and stable relationship for at least one year. This means that the couple should provide evidence of intending to be in a long term relationship that is likely to endure.

What do you mean by a genuine and stable relationship?

A genuine and stable relationship under the provisions of the Immigration New Zealand guidelines means that a couple who is either married or in partnership must meet the four-fold test to prove that their relationship is of a long term nature and is likely to endure. The four-fold test includes:- 

  • Credibility – Immigration New Zealand needs credible evidence of the relationship such as letters from family or friends proving public recognition of the relationship 
  • Live together – The couple must have lived together for a reasonable period of time i.e. a minimum of 1 year – any periods of separation must be justified for instance work/family commitments
  • Genuine – The couple must be in a position to justify their relationship with intent to maintain a long term relationship together exclusive of others with evidence such as common interests and hobbies, outlining little known facts about each other, previous applications made together if any and so on
  • Stability – The couple need to provide satisfactory evidence of a lengthy formative relationship leading up to marriage or entering into a de facto relationship such as children from the relationship if any, sharing of assets and liabilities and so on 


Dependent Child 

The maximum age for a dependent child is 24 years. To be considered dependent as an adult child, the child would be single and would have no children of their own. A dependent child must be totally or substantially reliant on their parent(s) for financial support, whether living with them or not. Children who are between 18 to 20 years of age are regarded as financially reliant on their parents.


As Auckland’s leading immigration Consultants, we are experts at assisting those who would like to migrate to New Zealand.

Whether it is a skilled migrant visa, work to residence visa, work visa, essential skills work visa, residence visa or something else that you require, our fully licensed immigration advisers can provide you with up to date information  and walk you  through advice.

Below is a list of the visas and migration options that we can help you with.

Work Visa

Visitor Visa

Assists you in coming over to New Zealand for a holiday or to stay in New Zealand temporarily. It is usually for visiting friends and relatives as well as sightseeing or could be for a dependent of a work visa or a student visa holder.

Visitor Visa

Student Visa

This enables a client to gain primary, secondary as well as tertiary education in New Zealand.  Auckland South Immigration Consultants Limited liaises with various recognised Tertiary Institutions to assist in career development in many occupations

Student Visa NZ

Work Visa

This could be through a job offer from a New Zealand employer, gaining Study to Work Instructions through a Graduate Job Search Visa or a Graduate work experience visa, joining a New Zealand resident or citizen as a partner or joining a student or work visa holder.

Residence Visa

A resident visa allows you to travel to and enter New Zealand anytime and allows you to stay in New Zealand Indefinitely.

Family/Partner Catagory Visa

Involves all types of visa applications. Talk to us today to see how we can help.

Skilled Migrant Visa

See the new changes to legislation for 2022/23

Paretnal Residence Visa

See the new changes to legislation for 2022/23

Special Cases

Pacific Access Category

New Zealand welcomes a number of citizens from the Pacific to settle in New Zealand each year.

Section 61 - Unlawful overstay

New Zealand welcomes a number of citizens from the Pacific to settle in New Zealand each year.

Domestic Violence

In cases of domestic violence, Immigration New Zealand may grant a special visa to allow continued stay in the country.

Deportation & Appeals

Deportation can be triggered by a number of factors. Let the team at ASIC see your situation and help.

Let's Start a Conversation